Thursday, September 3, 2009

life story

Birthed out of a cramped tube into a sterile brightly lit people-center only to be tagged and given documents legitimizing my existence, I was arbitrarily taken back to a home. With no handle on the language or customs, I must have sounded similar to an infant, waving my hands and making unintelligible sounds as my one year old brother Trunk likes to do. My eating habits were similarly ridiculous as I attempted to decipher the Thai fork backhoe, spoon dump-truck technique. After going to bed very early and waking up before the sun I was dressed and potty trained by my most sweet and loving parents. That first week I could barely stand on my own under the oppressive heat and humidity. Yes, a Thai homestay is nothing more than a rebirth of sorts, a compressed simulacrum of the stages of my last 20 years on earth.

I am happy to report that my Thai infancy is over, and now I sound like a 3 or 4 year old when I speak. I am considerably more acquainted with the foods, flawlessly opening no-longer-mysterious juicy fruit orbs by myself and eating rice at least three times a day. I am getting accustomed to the climate and the routine of the Thai day... I am even old enough to go to school on my own now. This commute consists of an hour long combo package of bike riding, taxi/truck riding, and public bus cruising throughout the greater Chiang Mai area.



















I can see what is going to happen though. With only three weeks left of my childhood here, I will soon be off to higher (elevation) education. Into the mountains I will go, away from my loving family, only to return to Chiang Mai one week out of every month. My worried Thai parents will call me and check up on me, for my mother is deathly afraid that I will forget about them and never come back during the next few months to visit. Another repeat of childhood in America... once I finally reach the peak of my abilities to express myself I will be whisked away to other adventures.
















I miss everyone at home, hope school and other endeavors are going well. Love kyle.... or just ky in Thailand.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Your one year old brother looks very cute, you should bring him back to live in your apartment in the spring. Glad to hear everything is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kygrasshopper,
    you have awakened
    see the world the way Trunk sees it.
    Zen mind, Beginners mind.

    ReplyDelete